The National and University Library “St. Kliment Ohridski ”- Skopje (NUBSK) is located in the center of the city, on the left side of the river Vardar, near the University“ Ss. Cyril and Methodius”.
The library was established by a decision of ASNOM in 1944. The library building was destroyed together with part of the housed books after which the library was transferred to prefabricated buildings serving specific purposes. The new NUBSK building was officially opened on December 27, 1971.
The architect of this building is Petar Mulichkoski (1929), a famous Macedonian architect and a professor at the Faculty of Architecture. He is the winner of the award “Andreja Damjanov” awarded for lifetime achievement.
The skeleton frame of the construction is made of reinforced concrete forming porches and verandas, covering the facade surface in plaster and colourful combinations inspired by historical events.
This building is characterized by an outstanding functionality and is an explicit example of a Brutalist Architecture in the capital. It is made of natural concrete with visible application of ornaments taken from the architectural tradition enabling effective communication of the past with the presence rarely seen in the Contemporary Macedonian architecture.