The memorial ossuary in Kavadarci is a monument located near the highway “Friendship” (A1), raised to an altitude of 305 meters, within the City Park in Kavadarci where one can see the city’s panorama and the Tikvesh region. The building houses the remains of the fallen fighters and victims of fascism during the period of the People’s Liberation War (1941-1945) in the area.
The facility was opened on September 7, 1976 in honor of the 31st anniversary of the liberation of the city. Its construction resembles a Macedonian house fenced with walls 3 meters thick, with a pure and clear-cut architectural expression in natural concrete, an original representative of new brutalism at the time.
The author of the building was Petar Mulichkoski (1929) a professor at the Faculty of Architecture in Skopje, who was selected in a public competition. He is also the author of the Government building, as well as the National and University Library “St. Kliment Ohridski”in Skopje.
The lower enclosed part can be entered through two iron doors (south and north) depicting grapes at the front. The open part houses the gallery of heroes where about twenty marble plaques are placed with the names of the killed fighters in alphabetical order. The underground crypt contains the remains of the partisans, which were previously placed in the church of St. Dimitrija. There is also an amphitheatre for classes in History and other performances, as well as several concrete panels. During the 1990s, the remains were transferred to the Museum in Kavadarci due to the poor condition of the building. The closed upper part is entered through a staircase in the middle of the building that spirally leads upwards. This part with a height of 12 meters is inspired by the traditional Ohrid house. It is divided into two floors resembling verandas.
Built in concrete, the building is an expression of the author’s tendency to transform traditional architectural solutions into marks and tokens and the same are applied in the building in a form of a semantic sign – a symbol or ornament embedded in order to feel the continuity of the construction tradition. Modern world tendencies (especially constructivism and brutalism) in the architecture have greatly influenced Mulichkoski’s work.